Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Benefits of Bilingualism, Do American schools need to change?

Let's hope MANY more people will ask this question and come to the same answer.  - - Donna Poisl

By Rhianna LaValla, Staff Writer

Over the course of my short time here at NDSU, I have met quite a few new people. I would say a good half of them speak a foreign language. Why only half you might ask? Well, those people that speak a foreign language usually come from somewhere other than the United States. The other half is from the United States.

Most countries in Europe require students to start learning another language in grade school. I have a friend, Caroline, who lives in Germany and she started learning English and Italian in second grade. So why do we not do this in America, supposedly one of the most educated first world countries? I know it would have been much easier to learn a language when I was young compared to now. I took three years of Latin in high school and suffered through every minute of it.
Click on the HEADLINE above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: