Wednesday, July 10, 2013

(Video) How English sounds to non-English speakers

This is really funny, I hope it isn't quite true, but I'm afraid it might be.   - - Donna Poisl

by JOE GANDELMAN, Editor-In-Chief

How does English sound to non-English speakers? First, let’s back track:
I worked at learning three languages during my life. The first, was as a schoolkid at Davis Street School in New Haven, CT in the late 1950s. But failed miserably at fourth grade French. The second, was trying to learn Spanish in high school and college. I did OK but mostly retained parts of dialogues and could only say things like “Meatballs again, what did I tell you?….Caramba, I forgot my notebook….I like it less when it has rice.”

Then I went over to India and tried to learn Hindi while doing an independent study project in New Delhi as a senior at Colgate University (I interned on The Hindustan Times in New Delhi). My Hindi wasn’t great or even fluent but I managed to get a C. I returned to India after getting my masters at the Medill School of Journalism — still no luck with Hindi.
Click on the HEADLINE above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: