Friday, November 02, 2012

Trading croissants and baguettes for eggs and sausage

This article tells about this immigrant student fitting into her new culture, starting with food.   - - Donna Poisl

By AMINA MAMATY

Living well in a different country is all about assimilation. Like any other individual who is unfamiliar to the culture and the area, I had to make a few adjustments in order to fit in and make my new life a little bit easier.

The biggest one had to be food wise. I clearly realized I wouldn’t be able to eat croissants and baguettes every morning so when I first came here, I traded it for eggs and sausages. It was probably not the healthiest choice, but it tasted delicious. When I went back home after a year, everyone was calling me “American girl” because I was bigger. There was no way I was going to go to Fresh at 9 a.m., pass the bacon and go straight to the fruit section. American food and I have a love/hate relationship. Good for my wallet but bad for my body.
Click on the HEADLINE above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: