Thursday, November 08, 2012

Dreamers Celebrate Obama Win, Gear Up For Immigration Fight

These young immigrants will definitely push for immigration reform, they are very motivated and have some power now.    - - Donna Poisl

by Elise Foley

WASHINGTON --- Nayeli Manzano, 16, nervously watched Tuesday's election results roll in with her family. She is undocumented, as are her parents, and she has not yet applied for deferred action that would allow her to remain in the U.S. without fear of deportation. If GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney had won, that policy would have been eliminated. Manzano said her heart sank every time a result came in that looked like it would go that way.

"You're never sure what's going to happen, what's the future," Manzano said later, after President Barack Obama had been declared the winner. "I was just thinking, 'If Romney wins, I'll still send in my papers and see what happens, but if I don't get it, what's going to happen? Am I really going to get deported? Is my future over? Do I have a future?

"All of these start running through your head and it's all negative, but in the end when they said Obama wins, all of that leaves you, you just get a sigh of relief," Manzano said.
Click on the HEADLINE above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.


No comments: