Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Commentary: Immigrants took risks, opened door to hope

I imagine most of us would feel the same gratitude if we visited our ancestors' homes in the "old country".  And we would also see the similarity to today's immigrants.  - - Donna Poisl

Written by Alcestis ‘Cooky’ Oberg

When I went to my grandparents’ ancestral villages in Greece last month, I found the experience both beautiful and troubling.

One village was a garden spot nestled in a mountain valley, full of nut trees and rich farmland, with a history that went back more than 4,000 years. The other village was a seaside resort on a magnificent peninsula surrounded by a sapphire sea, also with a long history.

However, both places made me glad my grandparents left those ancient and alluring places, and came to America.
Click on the HEADLINE above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.


No comments: