Friday, June 03, 2011

Cassidy: Citizenship ceremony is a reminder of immigrants' role in building Silicon Valley

This speaker at a ceremony for 423 new citizens from 64 countries reminded them that many of our very successful companies were started by immigrants. Perhaps they will do that too. - - Donna Poisl

By Mike Cassidy, Mercury News Columnist

My little speech must still have been ringing in James R. Taylor's ears when he pulled out his cellphone and called me.

A voice mail from the newly minted U.S. citizen was waiting for me when I got back to the office after speaking at Silicon Valley's main monthly citizenship ceremony. The British native, who spent time in El Salvador while growing up, wanted to give me a heads-up on the cloud-based company he was going to launch.

It's the Silicon Valley immigrant story, isn't it? Immigrants from around the world start up companies here to make better lives for themselves while figuring out a killer way to make life better for the rest of us. Whatever the obstacles, they know they can't be bashful.

"As of today," Taylor, of Livermore, said when I finally reached him, "I'm an official citizen."
Click on the headline above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: