Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Journey of Joseph -- A Teen North Korean Refugee

A difficult story with a happy ending. This homeless orphan in North Korea was rescued and is now a high school senior in California with a bright future. - - Donna Poisl

posted by: Nicole Nuss

Joseph is a North Korean refugee who was resettled in the US in 2007 after LiNK, or Liberty in North Korea, rescued him from hiding in China. He is now a high school senior ranked among the top of his class and interned at LiNK's headquarters office in California last summer to spread awareness of the North Korea crisis and to learn about youth advocacy. Below is his story of escape, survival and eventually freedom.

I was born into a family of farmers. When I was 13, my father passed away from starvation. My sister then crossed over the border to China to earn money and find food, but she never returned. Soon after, my mother also disappeared and I became an orphan. I couldn't understand why this happened to me. My dad passed away because of food, because of one piece of bread, one bowl of rice.

Learn more about LiNK's work: http://linkglobal.org/who-we-are/our-projects.html
Click on the headline to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: