Friday, June 18, 2010

Hispanic Youth at Ease in Two Cultures

A new study has shown how young Hispanics (most born here) between ages 16 and 29 feel about themselves and their place in this country and their community. Very interesting. - - Donna Poisl

by Victor Manuel Ramos

Fernando Nunez Esquiaqui feels as comfortable speaking English and Spanish as he does eating hamburgers and Colombian arepas.

But he is not an immigrant.

Nunez was born in Los Angeles more than 19 years ago and is part of a tide of young Americans of Hispanic heritage who feel at ease between two cultures -- and embrace both.

"I feel extremely proud of being an American because I was born in this country, but to me being an American allows me to also be proud of my Colombian roots, because we all come from immigrants," said Nunez, an east Orange County resident and student at Valencia Community College.
Click on the headline above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: