Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Asian-American political participation lags but is rising

All immigrants learn that when they are involved in local politics, they understand the country better and become much more assimilated. - - Donna Poisl

by Booyeon Han, Special for the Republic

One day, the brother of my childhood friend Megan asked her, "Megan, why are you playing with that Chinese girl?" At age 7, I was confused because I was Korean, not Chinese. Moreover, why should my friend not invite me to her house?

That was some time ago while growing up in Arizona. Today, I'm a student at Princeton University, where I have discovered an overwhelming population of Asian-Americans -17.7 percent of the freshman class alone.
Click on the headline to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: