Friday, June 19, 2009

A plea to set a civil tone, stop blaming immigrants

A thoughtful piece showing how a civil tone could help everyone and put a stop to antagonism and some hate crimes. - - Donna Poisl

Posted by Bob Braun/Star-Ledger Columnist

He is a runner like me, and I see him often on the Warinanco Park track in Elizabeth. We usually exchange meaningless greetings and keep running.

But the other day the park was packed with families enjoying a few hours of sun. Kids played soccer in the field inside the track. Nice day, nice scene.

This guy was ahead of me, but running a slower pace, so I caught up with him. We exchanged nods and, then, as I passed, I heard him say behind me, "I wish these people would go back where they came from."

I knew who he was talking about. "These people" are Latinos. Warinanco is a social gathering spot for the area's large Hispanic population and the venue for many of the organized youth soccer clubs, many members of whom are Hispanic.

I didn't respond. I run to run, not to argue. But I wish I had said something. It is again getting very easy, far too easy, to hate -- especially Spanish-speaking people.
Click on the headline to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: