Monday, June 15, 2009

Immigrant touts English language

This immigrant is telling people why she thinks all immigrants should learn English and do it quickly. - - Donna Poisl

Gisela B. Dyer, Special to The Reporter

At the outset, let me say, being an immigrant myself, I am a strong supporter of expanded legal immigration. But, arriving here in the United States in 1950, having requested the community accommodate me with signs in my own language never entered my mind.

At any rate, people would have told me to go back from whence I came.

English is the official language of this country. Good grades, good opportunities, good advancement in trade, business or college depend on a good grasp of the English language.

If you come to this country, it is good to be prepared to embrace its language, customs and culture.

That is not to say you give up your own language, customs and culture. Within family and neighborhood settings, it should be encouraged.
Click on the headline to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: