Saturday, April 08, 2006

Immigrants seek recognition for hard work

This story shows some of the best immigrants who are here, working hard to be good citizens, even before they actually are. DP

By LEAH BETH WARD, YAKIMA HERALD-REPUBLIC

Yakima Herald-Republic : Anjelica is a private person, but there is something she would like people to know about her.
"When I had my baby, the social worker wanted to give me some emergency money from the state. But I didn't take it. I offered to sew her something for it instead. I wanted to work for it," the young Hispanic mother said in a recent interview through an interpreter.

Anjelica crossed the Sonoran desert from Mexico into Arizona six years ago, walking for hours in the cold before meeting up with her husband, who brought her to Yakima. She asked to be identified only by her first name.

Her husband works in a fruit warehouse for $9 an hour and is a legal resident; she is not. Not yet. But she is working on it with the kind of proud, chin-up determination that has characterized this nation of immigrants since the early 1800s. She takes sewing jobs, has earned her high school equivalence degree and is studying English.

Be sure to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

1 comment:

MB said...

I'm DOCUMENTED alien on H1-B visa and legally arrived into U.S. almost six years ago. I paid income, Social Security and Medicare taxes from my $90 an hour salary. My visa will expire im May and I have to go home or may be I should stay as illegal? It seems that illegal aliens have more right that people who obey law.