Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Immigrants rally at California Capitol for rights of domestic workers

Domestic workers are rallying to get better rights and protections.   - - Donna Poisl

By Stephen Magagnini

Neira Ortega said she left Oaxaca, Mexico, 15 years ago for a better life in California. She said she didn't realize she would end up a virtual prisoner in her employer's Chula Vista home.

"I had to go to work Sunday night and work until Friday night for $60 a week," Ortega said Monday at a Capitol rally. "I wasn't allowed to leave the house to buy my own food. I had to eat canned food. I couldn't go to take classes."

Ortega, 40, told her story to about 400 people, many of them domestic workers, who gathered at the Capitol to celebrate California's 16th annual Immigrant Day.
Click on the HEADLINE above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: