Thursday, May 17, 2012

Gabe Gonzalez: Elena’s Story - Why Immigrant Women Deserve Protection From Domestic Violence

This article gives a good explanation of how and why immigrant women need to be protected in VAWA.   - - Donna Poisl

By Gabe Gonzalez, Fox News Latino

I have been a community organizer for 20 years, for more than half of that in my local neighborhood. Street organizing they call it. Working at that level you see things, some miraculous, some disturbing. I have seen neighborhood leaders take leaps of faith, engage in acts of courage that would humble the most cynical. I have also seen things that shook me. That made me angry or frightened or sad. Some unforgettable.

I remember a middle aged man, standing in his doorway, pleading with me to help him get gangs out of his neighborhood, shrunken with fear but desperate to protect his family. I remember a mother walking me through her basement apartment. Water six inches deep in places. She showed me the holes where the rats came in, and where her daughter’s crib was, and explained that her landlord charged her $800 cash every month for these luxury accommodations.

I remember the fear and the desperation these people experienced, and I remember how it felt when we won those issues, and those leaders could feel safe again.

But when I am really down, I remember Elena.
Click on the HEADLINE above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: