Saturday, August 07, 2010

Prop 8 and SB 1070 -- Sisters Under the Skin?

This article demonstrates how powerful our Constitution is. In both of these cases, it is the 14th Amendment that is being defended. - - Donna Poisl

New America Media, Commentary, Sandip Roy

SAN FRANCISCO -- When I heard about Judge Vaughn Walker’s ruling on same-sex marriage, I immediately thought of one person.

Judge Susan Bolton.

On July 28, Susan Bolton issued an injunction that defanged the anti-immigrant SB 1070 in Arizona.

On Aug. 4, Vaughn Walker found California’s Proposition 8, which outlawed same-sex marriage, unconstitutional.

For this, they will both be tarred as “judicial activists.” Judge Bolton has received death threats. Judge Walker is being denounced.

I have no idea if the two judges know each other, but within one week, these two justices suddenly brought together two parts of who I am. As a gay immigrant, I am used to juggling identities, never sure which one is acceptable in which setting, which one I should check at the door.
Click on the headline above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: