Sunday, August 01, 2010

New Poll Reveals Thoughts on Immigration Assimilation

This Asian American young woman writes about assimilation and multi-culturalism and has some interesting comparisons. - - Donna Poisl

Submitted by Victoria Yue

I have a friend who drinks hot coffee through a straw. The first time I saw her stick a straw through the lid of her coffee cup, I honestly thought that she had made a mistake.

“It’s the best way to drink coffee, ya’ll!” she said cheerfully (she’s a Southern belle).

Naturally, I was quite dubious about her claims. But I was curious, so one day, I, too, put a straw in my coffee.

Oddly enough, she was right. A straw makes it much easier to drink when driving because you don’t have to tilt your head back. Depending on the type of lid, a firmly wedged straw helps keep the coffee from spilling out. And, if you’re of the easily-amused persuasion, you can blow bubbles into your drink. By the end of the quarter, the majority of coffee drinkers in our class had spiked their cups with green and orange straws.
Click on the headline above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: