Monday, May 04, 2009

U.S. Detention of Asylum Seekers - Seeking Protection, Finding Prison

This Human Rights Watch report documents the high costs of detaining asylum seekers, the impact of detention on asylum seekers, and the policies and practices of ICE that have perpetuated abuses.

This quote tells the whole story: “When I was back home I was in prison [for speaking out for human rights]. I thought that when I got to America I’d be free, but then I was in prison again. I was surprised by that.”
From a Burmese school teacher: beaten and jailed for two years by the Burmese government, and detained by U.S. immigration authorities for seven months in an El Paso, Texas, immigration jail after requesting asylum in the United States.

Read full report at http://www.humanrightsfirst.org/pdf/090429-RP-hrf-asylum-detention-sum-doc.pdf

No comments: