Saturday, March 28, 2009

TWIN CRISES: IMMIGRATION AND EDUCATION IN AMERICA

This teacher tells how our education system has failed our students. We must improve or we will drop farther behind the rest of the world. This is the reason our country requires so many highly trained workers from other countries. - - Donna Poisl

By Frosty Wooldridge, NewsWithViews.com

Since I started teaching school in 1973, educational excellence and academic standards dropped like a brick falling from an airplane!

I taught two years in the inner city where I discovered that children learn self-loathing, violence, drug use, tattoos and incest as well as verbal and emotional abuse beyond most Middle-Americans’ comprehension. Within two years, my idealism turned to acid. In order to save myself from a form of emotional insanity, I fled the inner city. I taught at a reasonable, middle class school with great success.

However, the principal urged teachers to advance all students whether they passed their tests or not. At the time, I called it ‘affirmative action grading’. Soon, those kids discovered they could get something for nothing. Later, they enjoyed ‘affirmative action’ high school diplomas. That led to ‘affirmative action jobs’ whereby they spent eight hours ‘working’ doing pretty much nothing. The government hired millions of marginally educated graduates. Those jobs included security guards, answering the phone jobs, cab drivers and fast food cashiers.
Be sure to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: