Friday, February 06, 2009

iThink: Volunteering teaches lessons about our society

The Literacy Council teaches immigrants to read and speak English and also helps others who are illiterate. A terrific, non-profit organization, that always need donations and volunteers. DP

By Noelle Westfall, of Quakertown, a junior at Cabrini College in Radnor

In September, I transferred from my community college to Cabrini College in Radnor. It was a strange jumping into a place where everyone knew each other and I was an outsider. When I went to my first class, I heard bits of inside jokes and talk about things that I hadn't the faintest idea about. ''Will I fit in here?'' I thought.

About that time, a professor announced that we were to choose a place to volunteer for the semester. I was excited when she handed out information on The Literacy Council of Norristown's efforts to teach immigrants English. The Literacy Council is a non-profit that gives people the chance to make their way in this new world. No matter what their financial situation, every person I saw was eager to do his or her best.

Their zeal made me sad to think that so many people treat immigrants like intruders who aren't capable of properly ordering a cheesesteak. It is a problem when someone sees themselves as more vital to their country than another person. A society cannot function when its members are not willing to help others. This is why I feel that the Literacy Council was an excellent place for me. Each Monday evening, I sampled a bit of what the United States was founded on -- freedom to change one's life for the better.

I hope that as a society we continue working toward giving everyone an equal chance to succeed, no matter where they were born.

I can tell you that it made me feel more dedicated to my studies after seeing people in their 60s come here to start a new life and learn a new language.

No comments: