Thursday, September 12, 2013

Undocumented Immigrants Shouldn’t Have a ‘Scarlet Letter’ on Their License [OPINION]

This young woman makes a good case for allowing undocumented immigrants to have a driver license.   - - Donna Poisl

By MARIA GENIS

Every morning, when my mother leaves home to drive to work, I feel a knot in the pit of my stomach.

Will she make it back? Or will she be stopped on a whim, arrested and deported -- ripped from my family forever?

My mother is one of California's 2.6 million undocumented residents. She’s been driving as long as I can remember, taking me to music lessons as a kid or taking the whole family to church. Like most Californians, driving is the only way she can support our family and contribute to the community.

That's why Governor Brown needs to sign a bill by Assembly member Luis Alejo that would let undocumented immigrants like my mom apply for driver’s licenses just like any other Californian.

Immigrants are part of the fabric of our state. It's common sense for all drivers on the road to be tested, licensed and insured.
Click on the HEADLINE above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.


No comments: