Thursday, September 05, 2013

Immigrants' kids to city: Don't help ICE deport our parents

A special license between Philadelphia and ICE is helping to deport immigrants, these kids are trying to change that.   - - Donna Poisl

By Samantha Melamed

Sara Navarro came to the U.S. from Honduras at age 12 as an undocumented immigrant, eager to join her parent in what she had heard was "a land of opportunity for all." But, she says, "When I was 13 I learned that this country was not a land of opportunity for all, but only for some. I witnessed the deportation of my brother-in-law and my uncle. My sisters were left alone with an 8-month-old baby."

Navarro was approved for deferred-action legal status this year. But her brothers and sisters are still in jeopardy — and now, the father of her niece and nephew is facing deportation, after being picked up driving without a license, she says.
Click on the HEADLINE above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.




No comments: