Monday, February 11, 2013

LGBT Immigrants: An Untold Story

LGBT immigrants are often overlooked in the talk about immigration reform, but they are a part of the story and mustn't be forgotten.   - - Donna Poisl

From Donna Red Wing

A few days ago I spoke to a friend about the need for immigration reform in this country, reform that would honor and respect both this nation and those who seek citizenship here. My friend asked me why, as an advocate for LGBT equality, I would care about immigration. He could not fathom how migrant rights might affect me. This is my response.

Three of my grandparents came to Ellis Island fleeing crop failures, famine and starvation in their home country. They were Lady Liberty's tired and poor. They were young and unskilled, and their road to citizenship was built simply on difficult and laborious factory or housekeeping work and a desire for full citizenship. My family lived what used to be the American dream: Come to this country, work hard, send your children to school and create your own providence.
Click on the HEADLINE above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.



No comments: