Friday, December 10, 2010

Chinese immigrants discover Christianity in the U.S.

The growing number of Chinese churches in the U.S. are attracting more Chinese immigrants to Christianity. - - Donna Poisl

written by The Underground Staff

Immigrants from China are hearing the gospel for the first time in the U.S., and they are embracing it.

World Magazine said Chinese immigrants find love, acceptance and community in Christian churches which become a refuge in a new country. Li Rong Liu, of Fujian, South China says the spirituality seems more real, too.

Liu told World Magazine, “When I was in China, I had heard of Christianity, but I didn’t think I needed it. Now in the U.S., when I’m alone and facing new hardships, here is where I find God.”

When travel restrictions eased in China in 1978, Chinese immigrants to the U.S. rose from 200,000 in 1980 to 1.4 million in 2006. Chinese churches in the U.S. increased from 366 in 1980 to more than 800 today, World Magazine said.
Click on the headline above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: