Saturday, July 04, 2009

English, civics vital to America

This woman, who is half German, points out how important it is to have a common language and understand the history of this country, to be an American. - - Donna Poisl

by Lisa Farringer Parker

Recently, I returned from visiting my family in Germany and realized that the cultural gap between my German family and me is as wide as the ocean that separates us.

I am half-German. It's a concept difficult for me to grasp as I am so quintessentially American.

And yet, I am fascinated by my German heritage. My German family does not understand this. They say, "But why do you care, you are American?" And yet, that is the key to America's ability to meld people into one loose alliance of Americans: pride in our heritage. We do not become one monolithic identity when we sign on for citizenship.
Click on the headline to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: