Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Non-native English speaking students face language barrier challenges

High school ELL students mentor grade school ELL students and all of them are learning more.   - - Donna Poisl

By Sara Feijo, Wicked Local Dedham

DEDHAM - Although Miguel Alvarez is bright and articulate, the 10-year-old faces language barriers on the daily basis.

His biggest challenge? The Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System, widely known as MCAS.

Miguel, who is a fourth grade student at Avery Elementary School, said he is very nervous about taking the MCAS because he sometimes doesn’t understand certain words.

“Most of the time I think I can’t do it, because I think it’s very hard,” Miguel said Tuesday afternoon, April 23, during after school homework club. “I try my best.”
Click on the HEADLINE above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.


No comments: