Monday, September 24, 2012

It's Politics: Immigration and possibility

This is a perfect example of immigrants and the American Dream. It is about possibilities.   - - Donna Poisl

by Brian Charles

On Sept. 21, 1962 Monica Charles, my grandmother, arrived in New York City from Trinidad and Tobago with eight of her children.

Fifty years ago this week, my grandmother gambled on the American Dream and the possibility of this country. The arrival of my grandmother, my father and my aunts and uncles was celebrated by the surviving members of my father's family Friday. My dad remembered the day as one of the greatest of his life.

America, my dad says, is about possibilities.

The family settled in Brooklyn, an improvement from the poverty of 1960s Trinidad. He attended schools where they taught science and social studies, not just reading, writing and arithmetic. 
Click on the HEADLINE above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.


No comments: