Thursday, February 16, 2012

Student learns about her roots during semester in Mexico

This first generation American discovered what many others have learned before her; she doesn't fit into either culture completely. It usually takes another generation for that to happen. - - Donna Poisl

By ANNA MARIE LUX

DELAVAN — Karen Cano returned to UW-Whitewater last month with a deeper understanding of what it means to be Mexican.

The 19-year-old daughter of Mexican immigrants flew to Mexico in late July as a foreign exchange student.

"I know it seems kind of odd," she said, "but they considered me an international student."

Cano of Delavan studied five months at Technolgico de Monterey in Guadalajara, her father's hometown.

"It was cool because that is where my family is from," she said during an interview before leaving. "People say to me, 'Why not go somewhere else?' I want to go there to learn about myself and to learn about my culture."
Click on the headline above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: