Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Co-sponsor DREAM Act in the Senate

from Senator Durbin

I'm writing you today to help me do right by some of America's most talented, hardworking, patriotic young adults -- many of whom have reached out to me directly over the years with inspiring personal stories and emotional pleas for help.

I'm talking about a select group of high school graduates who were brought to America as children -- often before they can even remember -- but who now face deportation, through no fault of their own.

These young people have been raised in America. They have sat in the classrooms of our schools and stood up every morning to give the Pledge of Allegiance to the only flag they've ever known. They have worked hard and played by the rules.

They deserve a chance to be legal, contributing members of our society -- and it’s up to you and me to give them that shot.

Click THE HEADLINE to sign on as a citizen co-sponsor of the DREAM Act that I just re-introduced in the Senate -- to give a select group of bright immigrant students the chance to contribute more fully to America.

My legislation would give students with good moral character who have lived in the U.S. for at least five years -- and came here before turning sixteen -- the chance to earn legal status after earning a high school degree and completing two years of college or military service in good standing.

It would ensure that some of our nation's honor-roll students, class valedictorians, star athletes and talented artists could continue their studies in America and become our next generation of doctors, nurses, teachers, soldiers, public servants, and more.

And it would ensure that these young people are not punished for a wrong they didn't commit. That's not the American way.

Passing the DREAM Act is simply the right thing to do. Please sign on as a citizen co-sponsor of this important legislation right now.

In recent votes, a growing majority of the Senate has supported the DREAM Act.

But we still need to pick up a few more “Yea” votes to break the filibuster, and convince obstructionist Senators it's in their political best interest -- and the country's best interest -- to stand with this select group of promising young people.

As you may know, this is an issue I’m especially passionate about. I'll keep you posted as I look for ways to advance this legislation in the Senate, and hope I can claim your support as I do.

Thank you for standing with me to do right by these young people.

Sincerely,

Dick Durbin
U.S. Senator

No comments: