Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Learning English a struggle for new immigrants

I'm glad I don't have to learn a new language in a short time, this is hard work.   - - Donna Poisl

by Jim Merkel

About eight months after her father brought her from Peru to the United States, Claudia Pena struggles with speaking English. But she's hoping to get better.

Pena, 25, of Granite City, is one of about 15 students taking a three-hour long English as a Second Language class at the Sam Wolf Granite City campus of Southwestern Illinois College. The class is held four days a week in the mornings. Another class of 10 students are studying a class that's offered two nights a week.

"For me it's hard," Pena said of English, especially speaking. "I like grammar. I like the rules. I come here four days a week. Why? Because I want to learn English."
Click on the HEADLINE above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.


No comments: