Saturday, July 11, 2009

West Ga. Tech's English language classes bursting at seams

English Literacy Programs all over the country are full, with waiting lists. Even though it is hard for immigrants to fit classes into their busy lives, they know they need it. - - Donna Poisl

by Laura Camper/Times-Georgian

Elia Gonzalez has been in the United States for 10 years and knows enough English to get by, but she decided to enroll in classes at West Georgia Technical College because she wanted to be able to speak in English with her two sons, ages 6 and 9.

“My sons speak English,” Gonzalez said. “I can’t understand everything they say.”

So, in February, she enrolled in the English Literacy Program at WGTC, and now they all do their homework together.

“They help me,” Gonzalez said. “They tell me in English, and when I don’t know something, they show me.”
Click on the headline to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: