Friday, June 27, 2014

Remembering My Immigrant Grandparents' Vision and Sacrifice

This is Immigrant Heritage Month and here is an immigrant story; much like many others but different too. - - Donna Poisl

by Danica Oparnica

Growing up in a multi-generational home in Johnstown, Pennsylvania in the 1950's, I had no idea how fortunate I was. Despite the smell of the steel mills and the soot in the air, I lived in a rich melting pot composed mainly of eastern Europeans, Greeks, Irish and Germans where ethnic holidays were celebrated with food, music, old world customs, camaraderie and good will. At the time I didn't understand the uniqueness of the melting pot that is America or the sacrifices my family had to make in order to be a part of this country.

My family's immigrant story although unique, is not that different from the story of millions of immigrants who call the United States home. This month we celebrate immigrant heritage month and honor the achievements and contributions of immigrants to the United States.
Click on the HEADLINE above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: