Monday, February 10, 2014

Regarding immigrants, why do we have to be mean?

This makes a good case for being more lenient with undocumented immigrants.    - - Donna Poisl

By William J. Dowling

In a recent discussion regarding illegal immigrants, I heard the sentence uttered so often by so many: "But they're here illegally." Every time I hear this attempt to justify heartless treatment of other people I cannot help but ask myself: Since when is it normal to consider any and all crimes equally grievous?

I see hundreds of lawbreakers every day. From jaywalkers to litterbugs, to those who drive 70 mph in a 65-mph zone. I also read about murderers, rapists and traitors. We can agree that these groupings are at opposite ends--with ample space between--of a broad spectrum in terms of the severity of crime. Overstaying one's visa is a crime, but it is a relatively minor one. It is an administrative failure, no more relevant than failing to renew vehicle registration on time. I condone neither, but I rarely hear people calling for the forfeiture of any and all future driving privileges and the immediate confiscation of a car as fair punishment for those who renew late. We accept that a ticket or a late charge is sufficient penalty.

Why do we equate an undocumented resident with high treason?
Click on the HEADLINE above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.



No comments: