Monday, October 31, 2011

Learning English was the hardest part of immigrating

The only people who say learning English is easy are those who have never tried to learn a language. - - Donna Poisl

Immigrant stories: Violeta Ornelas de Flores
Post Independent, Glenwood Springs, CO Colorado

Violeta Ornelas de Flores: I came with my husband and my son from Juarez, Mexico, so that my son could get a good education. My husband had been working in El Paso, Texas, across the border from Juarez. He was working in a restaurant frying chicken and when he lost his job he decided we should come to Colorado and start a new life, a better life. There weren't many jobs in El Paso and salaries were low.

My husband is an American citizen who was born in Texas, but when he was young his parents moved back to Mexico. So he never really learned English. We wanted our kids to be able to speak both languages.
Click on the headline above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: