Thursday, September 08, 2011

Young immigrants plan rally to protest lack of path to becoming legal residents

These young people are marching to push for the DREAM Act to be enacted. - - Donna Poisl

By: BERTRAND M. GUTIERREZ | Winston-Salem Journal

Illegal immigrants brought to the United States as children plan to risk arrest and deportation at a rally Tuesday in Charlotte to protest what they believe are unfair laws that prevent them from correcting their immigration status and make it harder to get an education.

Moises Serrano, a Yadkinville resident who graduated with honors from Starmount High School in Boonville, said he and others from the area plan to attend the rally because their options are running out.

"I'm a great worker, but because of my status I can't take advantage of that. I can't get a job. I can't go to school because I can't afford out-of-state tuition. I can't drive down the road to my friend's house because I'm scared I might get pulled over. It's like living in fear 24/7," said Serrano, 21, who was brought to the U.S. by his parents before he was 2.
Click on the headline above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: