Wednesday, August 17, 2011

To Vote or Not to Vote, That Is Not the Question

Sitting out an election is never the way to make a difference. Voting is your right and must be used. - - Donna Poisl

by Jorge-Mario Cabrera

An active critic of mine emailed me recently wondering if my strategy and that of other immigrant rights advocates was to defeat President Obama by blaming him relentlessly for the lack of progress on immigration reform and/or urge Latinos not to vote in 2012. Did I want President Obama to be a one-term president, he asked. Did I think a Republican would do any better on behalf of immigrants?

There is no way to sugar coat it. President Obama has failed miserably in his promise to update our flawed immigration system. But as much as our community's grief pushes me to detest, denounce, and defy this administration's terror-inducing immigration policies, I do not for a minute think that getting rid of President Obama or withholding my vote next November will do my family, the community, or the nation any good whatsoever.
Click on the headline above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: