Sunday, April 27, 2008

Teacher of the Year

This teacher, who learned English as a 7 year old, was inspired to be a teacher because of teachers who helped her when she was young. DP

She's willing to go the extra mile

By Debbie Coleman-topi

examiner.net:Rani Khakh was proud just to have been nominated for teacher of the year.

But the Franklin Smith Elementary third-grade teacher never expected that her name would be the one called as this year's Blue Springs School District Teacher of the Year. After shakily making her way to the podium at the ceremony Friday morning at Adams Pointe Conference Center, Khakh was so shocked to have been named for the district's top honor, that she didn't know what to say.

"You don't even know how unexpected this was," she told the crowd of other nominees, school board officials and district officials at the event. "I'm not ready, so I'm going to speak from my heart."

Khakh went on to praise others for helping her to achieve.

"The person who never gave up on me is my principal, Jan Castle," Khakh said. "This is a tribute to her, not me."

After the event, Castle said it's just like Khakh to give others credit.

"It's so hard to encapsulate all her greatness in a few words. Her own self expectation is the highest of high," Castle said of the teacher who attends each school program and activity.

Khakh has lived in Blue Springs for the last 13 years, with her husband, Jess, and their two children, Sareen, a third grader, and 4-year-old Jayven.

Khakh, who is of Indian descent, said she knew she wanted to be a teacher as a second-grader who was struggling to learn English and to fit in despite her different background and culture. Her parents are Indian immigrants, and her family lived for a while in England. But it was a teacher in Northern California, where she grew up, who inspired her to become a teacher. That teacher went to great lengths to help Khakh succeed, and that's when she felt called to teach.

"Then, when I looked within myself, I knew that was my calling," she said. "I knew I wanted to be that teacher who went the extra mile...not just their teacher for a year, but that teacher who made a difference."

Khakh said it's her struggles early in her education that make her a teacher who can relate.

"I appreciate being that struggling student," she said.

What's the best part about teaching? For Khakh, it's easy to say - she loves the challenge.

"The best part is that it's not easy."

No comments: