Sunday, July 16, 2006

Immigrants Pave Way with Taxes

An interesting story about the billions of dollars legal and illegal immigrants pay in taxes each year. DP

Immigrants - both legal and illegal - are paying billions in taxes
By Scott J. Krischke

The Connection Newspapers: Every day at 5:30 a.m., Cesar, a Herndon resident who was born in Peru, wakes up, puts his clothes on and spends the day trying to find work.

“I can usually only work for a day or a week at a time, and what I’m working on is varied,” Cesar said. “Sometimes I’ll paint a house, I’ll put in a floor somewhere, I’ll work on a construction crew. It might last 15 days or it might last a month, but I go out and find what I can.”

Cesar is an undocumented immigrant who arrived in Herndon via the U.S. border with Mexico about two and a half years ago to seek better opportunities to make money for his family. He estimates that he makes between $400 and $500 a week on average.

This year, Cesar joined the ranks of taxpaying residents by filing with the Internal Revenue Service to pay his share of the federal and state income tax.

According to a recent Urban Institute study, immigrants living in Fairfax County, regardless of their legal residency status, contributed $3.2 billion in taxes in 1999 and 2000. This amounts to nearly a quarter of the total taxes paid by Fairfax residents.

“When I first came here, I didn’t know what taxes were … so I didn’t pay anything at first,” Cesar said. After learning that all workers in the United States are required to pay taxes, “I realized that I needed to pay them as well. It’s a way of being. You have to follow the rules, the law doesn’t discriminate when it comes to your legal status.”

Be sure to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

1 comment:

Bruce Henion said...

ENERGY QUEST
NATIONAL ENERGY EFFICIENT DEVELOPMENT FOUNDER
3339 Jefferson Scio Drive S. E., Jefferson Oregon 97352
555 Saturn Blvd. B133, San Diego, Ca 92154
Ejido Ursulo Galvan, Ensenada, B. C. Mexico
www.uscarrierhistory.com

July 6, 2006
Dear Mr. President:


Like other Americans I’ve been living in Mexico. I’m in a unique situation. I moved to Mexico three years ago because I didn’t want my Mexican friend to be my employee living at my residence in Jefferson, Oregon. Although he had a student visa, it would have been illegal.

Now, I dear not acquire another six-month visa or remain longer as I do not desire to be an illegal alien. It will be hard to replace my Mexicans employees, contributing to the local economy in the tune of $65,000.00 a year I’m sure I’ll be missed.

My father will be taking me home August 23rd via the hospital in San Diego, Calif., addressing some concerns I have relating to my C5/6 QUAD disability. I enjoy my 50-mile ocean view and will miss it a lot. Living in Mexico has been an adventure and the Mexican people in my community are some of the finest people I have ever had the honor of knowing. I hope one day the INS creates a Mexican Guest Workers Program.

The day the US government figures out away to channel taxes to the Mexican government from 8-million illegal workers will be the day the Mexican Government protects there own boarders.

Building a web site allowing illegal aliens in the US to register for a Workers Guest Program (5-year mandatory) prior to issuance of a resident card (ID printed upon registration, with letters issued to guest worker for the DMV and employer while being issued a tax ID No.) would be an essential asset to both the US and Mexico.

Employers posting jobs;

A thousand questions submitted for the general public to answer relating to a Guest Workers Program; thereby allowing maximum participation from Mexican and American citizens. With the chance of you or our elected official’s receiving a letter from any particular American around 1 in three million, at least allow us the opportunity to say yes or no on a web site housing questions. Questions submitted by my fellow Americans within a three month period, the equivalent designed for Mexican citizens by the Mexican Government, every question welcomed.

By the fourth month, questions once compiled would be posted with counters for registered voters and those who are not. Three months of question answering and then from the will of the people, fine tune the program. In the mean time people will be registering, employers posting job opportunities and guest workers paying their taxes to there parent government. Employers required to mail direct to the Federal Government of Mexico an employees taxes on wages or salary.

Employers could provide transportation and cabins if they required a dozen or more workers seasonally, etc.

The Mexican government is presently deprived of taxes from countless millions.

And with holdings from a workers salary for Health Services would be necessary.

The Mexican Government would be required to construct Regional Guest Workers Facilities in cities next to states that are along our boarder if they wanted an estimated 8 to 10-billion a year in taxes, training future immigrants migrating annually. If its all about money and the U. S. feels it should also receive some taxes, then do it. Establish an international Guest Workers Program Wage of $7.00 an hour and with hold $1.50 to $2.00 an hour for all related costs of doing business.

During a nine month period a Guest Program could be constructed that would be accepted by both Mexico and America and how many billions would be received in taxes even before the program was finalized.

Yet the US government in all it’s vast associated wisdom hasn’t a clue. It’s all about maximum participation on both sides the boarder.

I’ve written articles about a Guest Program and posted them in the past on various web sites hoping someone would look outside the box, but no one is interested in logical approaches. The US government I guess is just too greedy and when it comes right down to it, the SSA will never be audited.

Very Respectfully,


Bruce Wayne Henion
bwhenion@hotmail.com