Tuesday, June 20, 2006

These kids will rescue America

A wonderful story. Read the whole thing, PLEASE! DP

By Ginger Rutland -- Bee Columnist

SacBee.com : I graduated from high school 40 years ago this month, a milestone I happily would have overlooked had I not been invited to deliver the commencement address at West Campus High School. Formerly an offshoot of Hiram Johnson High School, West Campus is firmly established as its own independent campus within the Sacramento City Unified School District.
Why me, a relatively anonymous member of The Sacramento Bee editorial board? It seems one of the teachers at West Campus is a fan. He hears my weekly commentaries on Capital Public Radio.

Flattered by the invitation, I was busily preparing to impart all the wisdom I had learned in my 40 years since high school when the teacher who invited me to speak suggested I visit the campus to get a feel for the school and meet some of the graduates. I wasn't at West Campus 10 minutes before I decided to can my "life's journey speech."

The kids I met sent chills up my back. It was clear I didn't need to tell them about life's challenges; they had met formidable challenges of their own. I'm convinced they and kids like them will rescue America.

When I first saw Chan Fong Saeteurn, his hair was spiked, and he was break dancing on stage with about six of his buddies. Chan is the son of immigrants from Laos. His parents were part of an entire village that fled genocide. They crossed forests and rivers to reach safety in Thailand. A grandfather and aunt died on that journey.

The family is in this country now. They own their home and have a son who can break dance and will be going to college next year.
Be sure to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: