Monday, February 06, 2006

Lost in translation: English-only Latinos sometimes face a barrier to their own culture

Here is the language problem from the view of a Latina who does not speak Spanish. Interesting. DP

By: ADRIAN GOMEZ - Staff Writer

North Country Times: Sandra Ponce works helping youths and their parents for a living. Yet with all the communication her job entails, she's afraid sometimes that her words will be lost in translation.

Ponce is among a growing number of first-, second- and third-generation Latinos who grew up speaking English only and now find themselves facing an identity crisis.

"Because I don't speak Spanish, people look at me like I'm not Latino enough," Ponce said. "I understand it (the language) ---- I just can't respond."

Ponce is the assistant director of the Upward Bound Program at Cal State San Marcos. The program is designed to help high school students develop the skills and motivation necessary to ensure high school graduation and future success in college.

A big part of Ponce's job is going to meetings conducted in English and Spanish.

"What my colleague and I do is split the meeting in two," she said. "I will speak in English, while she translates in Spanish."

Be sure to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments: